A 17-0 run between the third and fourth quarters broke a tie game wide open for East High, which defeated Foothill 58-46 in each team's boys basketball season opener Monday.
Nathaniel Webb started the run with a turnaround jumper in the final moments of the third quarter. The Blades then put up the first 15 of the fourth, a stretch highlighted by Frankie Garcia and Elias Hubbard 3-pointers on back-to-back possessions.
The rally was also sparked by a change in defensive scheme, which East coach James Dominguez said lit a spark in a team that was lethargic at times.
"They were beating us to all 50-50 balls," Dominguez said. "I thought our half-court trap changed the game. They were just beating us to the ball and we had to do something to change it up. So we had to go to our half-court trap, which I don't really like to go to, but it's effective. They got after it and we actually finished instead of missing shots and fumbling the ball out of bounds."
Aaron Ramos scored 11 of his 14 points in the first quarter, and he added 10 rebounds to finish with a double-double for East. Webb added 12 points and six rebounds in the win.
Foothill was led by the 12-point, 15-rebound double-double of Erick Polanco. Polanco had seven points in the third quarter, sparking an 8-0 rally that gave the Trojans the lead after they'd fallen behind by as many as nine in the first quarter.
- California man used coronavirus relief loans to buy Ferrari, Bentley and Lamborghini, federal authorities say
- Rocky start proves costly for locally-owned Rock Your World in Kentucky Derby
- Paranormal activity at Padre? TV crew investigates for 'Portals to Hell' series
- Three Fairfax School Board members, including board president, served recall notices
- Shortage of chlorine tablets forces tough decisions in pool maintenance options
- A year without knocking on doors: Jehovah's Witnesses shift ministry
- 'That little gem': Oildale's Standard Middle School earns national award for excellence
- Endangered Bakersfield cactus threatened by off-road recreation
- Sage levels former Sinaloa building to make way for apartments
- Jastro's stage falls into further disrepair as it awaits money for upgrades
- PHOTO GALLERY: Frontier and Stockdale square off in Friday night spring football finale
- PHOTO GALLERY: Unbeaten teams Shafter, Golden Valley square off in Friday night football
- PHOTOS: Jet boat races take off over weekend at Lake Ming
- PHOTO GALLERY: District Attorney's Office holds Honor and Remembrance Drive recognizing 2020 homicide victims
- PHOTO GALLERY: South football wins big over Highland
- PHOTO GALLERY: North High, KHSD welcomes seniors back to campus on Monday
- PHOTO GALLERY: Back to school at Jefferson Elementary
- PHOTO GALLERY: Frontier football downs BHS
- PHOTO GALLERY: Centennial tops Stockdale in high school football