House fire on Beech Street

A man died in a house fire over the weekend at 2445 Beech St., owned by local attorney Phil Ganong and his wife, Pamela. Conflicting reports suggest Ganong's son, William, may have died in the blaze.

Local attorney Phil Ganong has confirmed to a Bakersfield television station that his son died in a fire on Saturday.

Ganong reportedly told KGET that his son, William Ganong, 35, died after a fire broke out at a residence on Beech St. just after midnight.

The Kern County Coroner’s Office has yet to confirm the identity of the man that passed away. In a report released Monday, the department said it would withhold the identity pending positive identification and notification of next of kin.

A report by the Bakersfield Fire Department said five people were in the home when the fire broke out. Crews reportedly arrived to find the home fully engulfed in flames.

Phil Ganong has represented marijuana interests in Kern County for many years, and has fought efforts by the county to ban medical marijuana sales.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.