After continually disrupting court proceedings, Christopher Charles Lightsey was gagged in court, Aug. 15, 1995, during the sentencing phase of his murder trial for the killing of William Compton a 76-year-old cancer patient. He was sentenced to death.

Christopher Charles Lightsey’s criminal past isn’t going to help him if he ends up going to trial for killing 4-year-old Jessica Martinez.

Lightsey was convicted for molesting two girls and tried for inappropriately touching children at a grade school he taught. He was sent to death row for killing an elderly cancer patient by stabbing him 43 times.

Lightsey’s past told through court cases and people who knew him reveal the troubled life of a death row inmate who may have committed one of the most haunting unsolved slayings in Bakersfield.

He was recently named a suspect in the 1990 murder of Jessica and police are waiting for a DNA test that may link Lightsey to evidence found on the victim’s shorts.

“Christopher Lightsey is a scary person,” said prosecutor Lisa Green who argued against Lightsey in the death penalty case. “He is not nice.”

Several of Lightsey’s family members and friends declined to be interviewed for this story. Lightsey has not yet responded to a letter written to him at San Quentin State Prison.


Lightsey was born March 30, 1955 and was raised with five siblings in Bakersfield, according to court documents. He attended St. Francis grade school and Garces High School.

April Swisshelm, a former neighbor of Lightsey, said her daughters used to complain that Lightsey harassed them at Garces.

“He really tormented the lives of me and my children,” Swisshelm said. “It was an awful experience.”

Lightsey later attended Bakersfield College and California State University, Bakersfield, where he graduated with a degree in business and public administration.

His home life was shaken in 1978 when his father committed suicide.

Lightsey found his father’s body, according to published reports.

“I was heartbroken,” Lightsey said in court in 1995. “I lost my best friend.”


When he wasn’t working as a substitute school teacher or as a Texaco and Chevron oil company office worker, Lightsey served time for several drug offenses, according to court documents.

In 1976, Lightsey was convicted for possession of drugs for sale. Ten years later, he was convicted for possessing cocaine, according to published reports.

Lightsey faced more severe charges in 1989 when he was arrested and accused of fondling eight students at Our Lady of Guadalupe School, where he was a substitute.

The second-grade students testified Lightsey touched them on their bottoms.

Lightsey had a second trial that year when Lightsey’s then-girlfriend said he inappropriately touched her 5-year-old daughter. All charges were dismissed.

In 1990, Lightsey moved into the Timber Cove apartment complex, the same place where Jessica Martinez lived, according to a search warrant.

When Jessica was reported missing from her home on May 10, friends said Lightsey was gone up to three hours that evening at roughly the same time she disappeared. He told them he went out to buy beer for a party.

Police then interviewed Lightsey, but made no arrests.

In 1993, Lightsey was accused of touching a 4-year-old girl under her pants and repeatedly touching the bottom of the 10-year-old daughter of his then-girlfriend, according to court documents. The younger child’s family lived next door to Lightsey.

Lightsey pleaded no contest to the molestation charges and was sentenced to three years in prison.


More trouble soon followed Lightsey.

On July 7, 1993, Lightsey stabbed William George Compton, a cancer patient, in Compton’s home in the 400 block of Holtby Road.

He was 76.

Lightsey stole Compton’s gun collection. Police traced Lightsey to the murder when Compton’s rifle ended up at a pawn shop.

During the trial, the judge repeatedly threatened to remove Lightsey from the courtroom if he did not calm down. Lightsey yelled obscenities and made obscene gestures at prosecutor Lisa Green.

“He was hard to ignore,” she said.

Evaluators on the case said Lightsey possessed a “narcissistic personality disorder” and “bipolar disorder, manic type,” according to court documents.

Lightsey was sentenced to death in 1995 for killing Compton.

“I did not kill anybody! This is a fraud!” Lightsey said at his conviction.

He was then gagged with duct tape and a wad of gauze during the hearing. Lightsey is the first defendant in Kern County to ever be gagged in the courtroom.

“All murderers in my mind are psychopaths,” Green said. “He (Lightsey) certainly fits that bill.”

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.