Every day is Thanksgiving at the St. Vincent de Paul mission on Baker Street. Every day, that is, except the actual day the rest of us celebrate as Thanksgiving.
Volunteers at the charity thrift store/church feed the homeless, the transient and the destitute virtually every day of the year, but Wednesday morning, in the mist of a late November rain, they moved back the calendar a day and fed 200 people, mostly men, a Thanksgiving meal with all the fixings, right down to the Costco pumpkin pie.
Positive Cases Among Kern Residents: 6,339
Positive Cases Among Non-Residents: 10
Recovered Residents: 4,153
Number of Negative Tests: 75,801
Number of Pending Tests*: 760
Updated: 7/11/2020. Source: Kern County Public Health Services Department
*As reported by community healthcare providers.
- Attorney, now sick with COVID-19, says judge ordered her to court against her better judgment
- Police report says Alatorre fought against man accused of her rape, murder
- There's a new mosquito in town, and it's trigger-happy
- Hospital staffing an emerging concern in Kern's COVID-19 effort
- Community rallies for Patricia Alatorre outside court as suspect in her death arraigned
- 'You couldn't help but love her': Community remembers girl as arrest made in her alleged murder
- BPD releases photo of suspicious vehicle seen around time of girl's disappearance
- On day of most reported COVID-19 cases in Kern, local officials warn rising totals will likely continue
- Local family mourns as beloved mother and father taken by COVID-19 within days of each other
- Anonymous good Samaritan replaces broken sign at Casa Munoz, brightens day for entire city