LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Los Angeles policeman who killed two people in two weeks — including a 14-year-old boy — won't face criminal charges.

A December report released Thursday by the LA County district attorney's office says Officer Eden Medina acted in defense of himself and his partner in 2016 when he shot 36-year-old Omar Gonzalez twice in the back during a struggle in Boyle Heights.

Gonzalez had a loaded gun. His family is suing over his death.

Medina previously was exonerated in the shooting two weeks later of 14-year-old Jesse Romero.

The boy, a suspected graffiti vandal, was killed during a chase when police heard a shot and thought he had a gun.

Some witnesses said the gun fired after the boy threw it away and the shooting sparked community protests.

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.