LOS ANGELES (AP) — Los Angeles County will pay $3.75 million to the family of a black teenager who was shot and killed by sheriff's deputies during a chase last year.
Supervisors approved the settlement Tuesday.
Sixteen-year-old Anthony Weber was killed in February 2018 at a South Los Angeles apartment complex. Deputies had chased him after receiving a report that someone had pointed a gun at a driver. Deputies said they saw a gun tucked in his waistband but found no weapon.
Weber's parents sued for wrongful death.
The killing sparked weeks of protests, fueled in part by frustration over deputies' claims that the boy was armed.
Deputies said they believed someone in a crowd stole the firearm in the chaotic minutes after the shooting.