The good times keep rolling for the Stockdale baseball and softball teams in the early runnings of the season.
The Mustangs’ softball team is undefeated at 12-0 and are the top-ranked team in the first BVarsity Central Section Top 15 softball rankings and the baseball team clocks in at No. 3 in the section behind Clovis-Buchanan, the No. 2 team in the nation according to USA Today, and Clovis.
Like the softball team, the Stockdale baseball team is undefeated.
Also similar to the softball team, the Mustangs baseball team has been scorching at the plate, hitting .402 as a team.
Leading the way are two juniors already committed to Division I collegiate baseball programs.
Second baseman Jalen Smith, committed to UC Davis, leads the Mustangs with a .548 average (17 for 31) and UCLA-commit Sean Mullen is hitting .469 (15-32) with three home runs and 11 RBIs at the plate and is 3-0 on the mound.
Cole Sheedy leads the team with 18 RBIs.
On the mound, junior Alejandro Murillo (3-0, 0.88 ERA), sophomore Kade Sheedy (a Cal Poly commit, 2-0, 0.00 ERA) and senior Zach Rundle (2-0, 1.66 ERA) along with Mullen have combined for 56 2/3 of the 66 innings pitched with a team ERA of 1.48.
Both Stockdale teams will face top-10 opponents in Liberty Wednesday at home in Southwest Yosemite League action.
The Patriots are No. 10 in both baseball and softball rankings.
Big weekend for track
Over the weekend, a handful of local track and field athletes found themselves in the top-10 in the state thanks to solid performances at the Gateway to Track and Field Invitational.
The Ridgeview boys 1600 relay team of Amir Knox, Devin Holliday, Jamar Moya and Shon Stephens posted the eighth-best time in the state at 3:23.66 for the title on Friday at Clovis-Buchanan’s Memorial Stadium, the site of the Central Section Masters and the CIF State Track and Field Championships.
Stockdale senior Iesha Hamm’s personal record of 5 feet, 7 inches in the girls high jump was good for gold at the invite and is the second-best jump in the state behind a 5-8 jump by Victoria Plummer of Moorpark.
Other local winners at the Gateway Invite were Stephens winning the boys 400 meters in 49.64, the top mark in the section along with a sweep of the boys and girls 800 by locals with Moises Medrano of Highland winning the boys title (1:54.05) and Stockdale’s Kaitlyn Davenport (2:20.53) winning the girls title.
Stockdale sophomore Marcus Mota won the boys 3200 title in a time of 9:29.40 and teammate Aaliyah Wilson, already No. 8 in the state in the girls 100 hurdles at 14.46, won the event in 14.56.
Cameron McGlasson of Stockdale won the boys high jump at 6-1. McGlasson’s season-best is 6-5, which he cleared at the Southwest Yosemite League meet on Thursday.
basketball all-star games
Four basketball players signed to college D-I programs highlight the third annual KHSD All-Star Basketball Games at Centennial on Wednesday.
Cal State Bakersfield-bound Jasmin Dixon, a senior at Independence, will face Ridgeview’s Dana Degraffenreid, signed to Sacramento State, in the girls game that tips off a 6 p.m.
Before Ridgeview senior Jordan Roberts (Long Beach State) and Justin McCall (CSUB) get on the court one last time in Kern County in the boys all-star game scheduled for 8:15 p.m., there will be a 3-point shooting contest for both girls and boys senior and a boys slam dunk contest between the games. Admission is $10 for adults and $5 for students with ID, seniors and children with all under 5-years old get in free. Doors open at 5 p.m.
Central Section Baseball Top 15 Rankings
1. Clovis-Buchanan (11-0, 1-0 TRAC, Division I)
2. Clovis (10-1-1, 1-0 TRAC, D-I)
3. Stockdale (10-0, 1-0 SWYL, D-I)
4. Clovis North (7-3, 1-0 TRAC, D-I)
5. Visalia-Redwood (11-0, 0-0 WYL, D-II)
6. Fresno-Central (6-3, 0-1 TRAC, D-I)
7. Clovis West (6-3-1, 0-1 TRAC, D-I)
8. Sanger (8-1, 0-1 CMAC, D-II)
9. Visalia-El Diamante (5-4, 0-0 WYL, D-II)
10. Liberty (8-3, 0-1 SWYL, D-I)
11. Highland (9-0, 1-0 SEYL, D-III)
12. Garces (6-2, 1-0 SWYL, D-III)
13. Visalia-Central Valley Christian (8-1, 1-0 CSL, D-V)
14. Fresno-Sunnyside (6-5, 0-0 NYL, D-II)
15. Madera (5-5, 1-0 CMAC, D-II)
Central Section Softball Top 15 Rankings
1. Stockdale (12-0, 1-0 SWYL, Division I)
2. Clovis (7-1, 0-0 TRAC, D-I)
3. Fresno-Central (7-2, 0-0 TRAC, D-I)
4. Hanford West (9-1-1, 0-0 WYL, D-I)
5. Clovis-Buchanan (8-1, 0-0 TRAC, D-I)
6. Selma (3-3-1, 0-0 CSL, D-IV)
7. Porterville-Monache (13-0, 0-0 EYL, D-II)
8. Clovis East (7-3, 0-0 TRAC, D-I)
9. Madera (6-2, 0-0 CMAC, D-II)
10. Liberty (8-3, 1-0 SWYL, D-I)
11. Clovis West (5-3, 0-0 TRAC, D-I)
12. Hanford (5-5, 0-0 WYL, D-III)
13. Tulare Western (8-3, 0-0 EYL, D-II)
14. Fresno-Bullard (4-5, 0-0 CMAC, D-I)
15. Tehachapi (10-3, 1-0 SYL, D-III)