The 3rd annual Thousand Flags Memorial Day Celebration at The Park at Riverwalk will be held over the holiday weekend.
It involves the flying of 1,000 flags in honor of those who have served, and continue to serve, the nation and community, whether in the military, law enforcement, fire agencies or first-responder entities.
The event is presented by Breakfast Rotary and the flags are sponsored by community members who want to honor friends and loved ones. At the end of the weekend, flag sponsors may pick up their flag and a keepsake certificate.
Flag sponsorships are still available at $50 per flag and may be ordered at the park or online at www.thousandflags.org.
Volunteers are needed to set up flags from 7-10 a.m. Saturday, May 27, and take them down 2 p.m. Monday, May 29.
Flags will fly beginning at 10 a.m. May 27 and will be on display through 2 p.m. May 29. The public can visit the display throughout the weekend. At sunset on Saturday and Sunday evenings (about 8 p.m.), people can hear Taps played as a color guard lowers the entrance flag.
Memorial Day, May 29, highlights include:
• 10 a.m.–3 p.m.: Patriot Fair featuring exhibitors, vendors and children’s activities
• 10:30 a.m.: Morning entertainment begins
• 11:30 a.m.: Performance by the Golden Empire Drum & Bugle Corps
• Noon: The entrance flag is raised to full staff with color guard honors
• Noon-1 p.m.: National Anthem and ceremony with presentations from veterans and first responders
• 2-5 p.m.: Flag sponsors may pick up their flag and a keepsake certificate
Proceeds from corporate and flag sponsorships benefit causes including Honor Flight Kern County and Wreaths Across America. Event partners include the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Golden Empire Drum Corps, the City of Bakersfield, local youth service groups, Boy Scout troops and ROTC.