The forecast may call for rain but downtown businesses are still feeling sunny about this month's Second Saturday.
Started last spring, the monthly event was developed by Purveyor House, a marketing and brand development company, in conjunction with Ward Two Councilman Andrae Gonzales. The goal is invite the community downtown to experience, support and enjoy the amenities of local businesses and groups.
Each month, a variety of businesses offer special discounts, deals or experiences for the family-friendly day. Here are a few highlights.
• Free yoga: Samsara Wellness Center will host a free session, open to all levels, at noon at 17th Place Townhomes. Bring a yoga mat, water and some friends.
• Farmers markets: Both the F Street Farmers Market (F Street and Golden State) and The Hen's Roost (19th and G streets) will be promoting area produce and products with a number of vendors. Musician Matt Anspach will perform at The Hen's Roost.
• The Kitchen Bakersfield: The teaching kitchen and event space (1317 20th St.) will offer a free demonstration on making Irish cocktails (go beyond the green beer) along with treats for the kids and discounts for those who sign up for Saturday classes.
• Photos with the Easter Bunny: TarnerCraft, a furniture rescue, restoration and redesign business, will offer free photos with the big rabbit. Donations will be accepted for the American Legion to benefit veterans. Swing by 2101 16th St. between 11 a.m. and 5 p.m.
• Free admission at museum: The Bakersfield Museum of Art (1930 R St.) is offering free admission Saturday as well as a tour of the "Mark Adams: Works on Paper" exhibit and still life art project at 10:30 a.m. Guests can also enjoy a 25 percent discount on family memberships purchased that day.
• Get funky with flowers: House of Flowers (1611 19th St.) will host a maker station with a spring seed bomb craft. Guests can also enter to win a spot at an upcoming spring workshop. The shop is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Studio sneak peek: Jocelyn Dimaya of Jocelyn Shares and Amanda Shay will serve appetizers and refreshments while offering guests a look at their studio above Dagny's at 20th and Eye streets.
• Latte cones: Cafe Smitten (909 18th St.) will serve a special treat along with its usual items. Check out the new halloumi cheese sandwich. It's a bit of fried deliciousness.
• Bike ride: Bike Bakersfield (1708 Chester Ave.) will offer a safety tips lesson before leading a bike ride through downtown. Call 321-9247 for more details.
• Shout out for Scouts: Stop by the Southern Sierra Council of the Boy Scouts of America (2417 M St.) for Scout supplies, clothing and camping equipment. Added perk: All t-shirts are $10 on Saturday.
Check out the rest of the offers on the Second Saturday map at bakersfieldsecondsaturday.com/map.