Fall Tours Begin at Tehachapi Indian Village Site California State Parks is taking reservations for the fall tour season at Tomo-Kahni State Historic Park in Tehachapi. Although no structures remain on this Kawaiisu Native American village site, the area’s rich history comes alive through the trained volunteer tour guides and the clues that the inhabitants left behind.
Tomo Kahni means “winter home” in Kawaiisu, and rock rings mark the locations of many of the Kahni, or homes, that were built of juniper boughs. Hundreds of mortar holes in the park tell of a very active past. The tour also includes Medicine Cave, Nettle Springs and a cave with pictographs, a sacred place of the Kawaiisu.
Due to the extremely sensitive nature of the site, visitation is only permitted on a guided tour, which involves a moderately strenuous 3-hour hike. Fall tours will be offered Saturdays, September 23rd, through November 11th.
October 21st there will be a kids program at 8:30 a.m. at the Tehachapi Museum in Tehachapi and lasts approximately 4 hours, including travel time to and from the park, transportation is not provided.
Those with heart conditions or breathing problems should not take this tour. Weather at the high-elevation park is variable, so layered clothing is recommended. Ample drinking water, sun protection, and sturdy walking shoes are also necessary.
Tour fee is $5 for adults, and $3 for children ages 6-16. Kids ages 5 and under are free but not recommended on tours. Tours are limited to 15 people and fill up fast. Reservations are highly recommended for an additional fee of $10 per party. To make a reservation or for more information, call 946-6092 or email Mojave.Sector@parks.ca.gov.
- Occurred Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 @ 8:30 am – 1:00 pm
- Occurred Saturday, September 30th, 2017 @ 8:30 am – 1:00 pm
- Occurred Saturday, October 7th, 2017 @ 8:30 am – 1:00 pm
- Occurred Saturday, October 14th, 2017 @ 8:30 am – 1:00 pm
- Occurred Saturday, October 21st, 2017 @ 8:30 am – 1:00 pm
- Occurred Saturday, October 28th, 2017 @ 8:30 am – 1:00 pm
- Occurred Saturday, November 4th, 2017 @ 8:30 am – 1:00 pm
- Occurred Saturday, November 11th, 2017 @ 8:30 am – 1:00 pm