Buy Photo

Autumn Parry / The Californian

David Mayhew races his 2013 CITGO Late Model during qualifying rounds at Kern County Raceway Park on Saturday July 6, 2013.

David Mayhew continued to make the half-mile oval at Kern County Raceway Park his own little playground with a dominating victory Saturday night in the 50-lap Late Model feature.

Mayhew took the lead on the 25th lap then sailed to his seventh win in 10 feature races.

Mayhew held a 3-second advantage over Gary Elmore when a caution flag bunched the field, setting up a two-lap dash that was all Mayhew.

Mayhew picked the outside line for the restart with Elmore down low, and by the first turn Mayhew was three car-lengths in front. Johnny White got past Elmore to take second and Elmore settled for third.

Eric Richardson led all but one of the first 25 laps and staged a great side-by-side battle with Mayhew for several laps. They completed the 17th lap dead even -- .000 on the computer -- as they crossed the stripe.

That battle led to Mayhew picking the outside line on the late-race restart.

"Did you see how how long it took me to get by Eric?" he said. "We must have raced side-by-side for 20 laps. It's hard to pass down there."

But once in front, it was all Mayhew, and the rest of the field was fighting for positions behind him. "My teammate, he's tough to beat," said White. "We just have to go back to the shop and work on it."

Elmore was in second, 3 seconds behind, when the caution came out, but White got a strong run on the outside to get past on the restart.

"Johnny got on the outside of me and the car didn't want to turn," Elmore said.

Eric Richardson finished fourth with Brian Richardson fifth.

Donny St. Ours of Upland served notice early Saturday afternoon with a track record in qualifying, then went out late in the night and throughly dominated the Pro Late Model feature to win the 100-lapper.

St. Ours circled the track in 17.863 seconds in qualifying and was even more impressive later in the evening when he turned what was a close race for 15 laps into a rout as he cruised to victory. St. Ours finished nearly a half-lap ahead of runner-up Kevin Thompson. Third-place finisher Race Librante was the only other car on the lead lap, three-quarters of a lap behind St. Ours.

"I know I was was way out in the lead, but this track puts on great racing. I love it," St. Ours said. "We've been fast in the other two races but had issues."

This time it was other drivers having issues, such as Ryan Reed getting into leader Dan Hotlz going into turn one on the 13th lap. That put Holtz into the wall and out of the race. A few laps later Reed, who had been sent to the rear of the field, was out as well.

St. Ours went from third to first at that point and no one could come close to keeping pace. Tim Smith finished fourth and Frank Adamo fifth.

In Mini Stock action, Dylan Baker led all but the first three laps for his first feature win.

Baker was chased by Racin Vernon for most of the race but was able to keep his cousin at bay. Billy Lay, who had won the past three races, finished third.

"We just changed a few things (on the car) and it worked out," Baker said. "I can't tell you how much fun it was racing with my cousin."