Some homeowners were told they could voluntarily evacuate an area near Arvin High School on Monday as workers continued repairing a pipeline that had been leaking gas for about a week.
Kern County Fire Department spokesman Sean Collins said the leaking petroleum-based product was nonhazardous and residents in the area near Varsity Avenue and Mahin Drive faced no danger. The smells had been noticed by residents for several days.
Collins said the pipeline is owned by Petro Capital Resources. He said the pipeline has been shut down for repair and flooded with water.
Jeff Williams, a production manager for PRC, said the line was a low-pressure one that moved gas from one oil lease to another. The company is cooperating with the Environmental Health Division of the Kern County Department of Health.
The work is expected to continue Tuesday.