A fire, started by a child with a cigarette lighter, charred four rooms at the Best Economy Inn & Suites hotel on Olive Tree Court north of Olive Drive in Bakersfield Friday evening.

The fire started just before 8 p.m. Friday while an adult and two children were in a ground floor room at the hotel, according to a Kern County Fire Department report.

The occupants of the room escaped before firefighters arrived.

When fire units reached the hotel flames were shooting out the front window of the hotel room and eating their way into the second story rooms above.

Firefighters attacked the blaze, then entered the structure and made sure all guests or staff of the hotel were safe, before they finished extinguishing the fire.

One room sustained severe fire damage, another was moderately damaged and two other rooms were slightly damaged in the fire, according to the reports. The rest of the hotel remains open for business.