A vacant, two-unit duplex under renovation in Oildale sustained significant damage during an accidental fire in the kitchen of one unit Saturday, a Kern County Fire Department spokesman said.
Kern County and Bakersfield Fire Department firefighters responded at 2 p.m. to reports of a blaze in the 100 block of Cooper Avenue, according to Kern County Fire Department Engineer Michael Nicholas.
Once on-scene, firefighters had the fire out by 2:15 p.m., Nicholas said, and were able to preserve $100,000 of the building's value. The fire did $40,000 in damage, Nicholas said.
Renovations to the duplex were nearly complete, Nicholas said, adding that electrical power to the building had just been restored on Friday.
The unit of the duplex where the kitchen fire occurred was rendered uninhabitable, while the other unit will be accessible only on a very temporary basis for residents or an owner needing to retrieve items.
-- The Californian