1 of 2

Buy Photo

Casey Christie / The Californian

Katila Nash, right, reacts during her guilty verdict in the Dorothy Session murder trial, Wednesday in Kern County Superior Court. Her sister, Angelique Nash, left, also reacts to Katila's verdict. Angelique's case was declared a mistrial, she will be retried.

2 of 2

Buy Photo

Felix Adamo / The Californian

Angelique Nash, along with two others, is accused of murdering Dorothy Session.

The third and final defendant charged in the beating death of an elderly woman was convicted of murder Tuesday following her third trial.

Angelique Nash, 20, is scheduled to be sentenced Aug. 20. She faces life in prison without the possibility of parole for her role in the death of Dorothy Session in 2010.

Prosecutor David Wilson said that, after two mistrials, getting a conviction was a relief.

“It’s been a long time coming,” Wilson said.

He said a lot of time and effort went into this case, but it was worth it considering the horrific nature of the crime. One factor that he believes made a difference in this trial was the obtaining of and playing of a recorded call Nash made from jail to her father.

In it she tells him that her best friend — who had already made incriminating statements to law enforcement as to her role in the crime — needs to “plead the Fifth” so she can’t be forced to testify. Wilson said the jail monitors all phone calls and records them.

The prosecutor had offered Nash a 15-year prison sentence before the second trial began, but she refused.

Wilson has said Nash, her sister Katila, and David Deshawn Moses were looking for an empty home to burglarize on April 14, 2010 and thought they had found one when they came upon Session's residence in the 1500 block of Camino Sierra. Wilson said they unexpectedly found Session home, and Moses beat her because they didn't want to leave a witness.

Wilson has said Angelique Nash was acting as a lookout at the east Bakersfield home to make sure no one came along and surprised the other defendants as they burglarized Session's home. He said both Moses and Katila Nash told police they went to Session's home to steal items.

Defense attorney Fred Gagliardini has argued that Angelique Nash went along that day because Moses had told her he had a friend who could get marijuana for them. Gagliardini has said Angelique Nash did not know that Moses was looking for a home to burglarize.

Moses was sentenced to life without the possibility of parole, and Katila Nash received a 25-years-to-life sentence after a jury found them guilty in late September.

Session, 81, has been described as a devout member of First Freewill Baptist Church for 56 years, and she enjoyed gardening and baking cookies for schools and other widows like herself. She ran errands and cooked meals for shut-ins in her neighborhood.