A cooking fire injured one person and caused an estimated $25,000 in damage to a residence in northeast Bakersfield Wednesday afternoon.

Bakersfield firefighters said they responded to the fire at 2:21 p.m. in the 2100 block of Duke Drive. Smoke was showing from the front of the residence and heavy fire was in the kitchen.

The fire was brought under control in nine minutes, firefighters said. The cause was a cooking fire left unattended.

One person suffered smoke inhalation and was pulled from the residence by a family member.