1 of 4

Buy Photo

Casey Christie / The Californian

A window is broken out of the home at 305 Belle Ave. in Oildale, cross street Plymouth Avenue, seen Friday morning after a Kern County Sheriff SWAT call out involving a man inside the home Friday evening.

2 of 4

Buy Photo

Casey Christie / The Californian

Friday morning the Kern County Sheriff's department is still working the scene in the 300 block of Belle Avenue in Oildale where a SWAT call out took place Thursday evening.

3 of 4

Buy Photo

Casey Christie / The Californian

The window in the house at 305 Belle Ave. is broken out Friday morning. The Kern County Sheriff's SWAT members were called out Thursday evening to an incident here.

4 of 4

Buy Photo

Michael Fagans / The Californian

Kern County Sheriff's bomb squad deputies deploy a robot at the scene of a domestic dispute turned officer-involved shooting at the 300 block of Belle Avenue in Oildale on Thursday night.

A suspect in a domestic dispute who reportedly was firing a handgun outside an Oildale residence was shot and killed after brandishing a gun at deputies Thursday evening.

Kern County sheriff’s spokesman Ray Pruitt said the suspect retreated back inside the home in the 300 block of Belle Avenue after deputies fired at him at 7:50 p.m. The sheriff’s SWAT team responded and found the man dead inside the home.

The man was identified Friday morning as 51-year-old Darren Neal Raines. A coroner’s office news release said Raines “was shot by another and died at the scene as a result of his injuries.”

The sheriff’s personnel who fired at Raines have been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of a review of the shooting, Pruitt said. They are Sgt. Doug Sword and Deputies Joshua Geissel, Braydon Ferguson, Justin Sawaske, Cody Johnson and Phillip Banks.

Events leading to the shooting began when deputies received a report of spousal abuse at 4:15 p.m. Thursday in the 1200 block of Wilson Road. Pruitt said deputies responded but couldn’t find the people involved.

About 6 p.m. deputies received a call reporting a man standing in the roadway in the 300 block of Belle firing a handgun. Deputies responded to the area, set up a perimeter around a house where they believed the suspect had gone and evacuated nearby homes after the suspect refused to speak to them.

A neighbor told deputies that the suspect may have fired the gun in the street before deputies arrived. Deputies also learned the suspect was intoxicated and was possibly armed with a rifle.

Pruitt said deputies made contact with the suspect’s girlfriend inside the home and were able to determine they were the same suspect and girlfriend from the incident on Wilson Road. A SWAT team was called to the scene.

Before SWAT members could arrive, the suspect, Raines, came out of the house and brandished the gun at deputies, Pruitt said. A sergeant and five deputies shot at him, and Raines managed to make his way back inside the house.

The deputies believed they’d hit Raines. Attempts to contact him after he went back inside the home were unsuccessful.

Pruitt said the SWAT team arrived and tried contacting Raines. They reached the girlfriend, who told them Raines was suicidal and may have rifles inside the home.

SWAT deputies entered the home at 10:40 p.m. and found Raines dead inside.

Raines’ motive in firing upon deputies is unknown, and an investigation is ongoing, Pruitt said.