Ten nonprofits will start off the new year with some big checks from the Dignity Health Community Grants Program.
Members of the grant review committee will hand out the checks Wednesday morning, according to a Dignity Health news release. The program has given out more than $2.7 million to 53 groups in Kern County since its inception in 1990.
The following nonprofits were picked for grants from Mercy and Memorial Hospitals:
* Advanced Center for Eyecare, $30,000
* Alzheimer's Disease Association of Kern County, $29,000
* California Veterans Assistance Foundation Inc., $25,000
* Golden Empire Gleaners, $25,000
* MARE Therapeutic Riding Center, $25,000
* MOVE International, $10,000
* St. Vincent De Paul Stores and Center, $39,600
* The Hope Center, $10,884
* Valley Achievement Center, $20,000
* West Side Community Resource Center, $20,000
-- The Californian