With the Thanksgiving holiday just days away, CAL FIRE is reminding Californians about the dangers that home fires pose during the holiday season.
The kitchen is where most fires start. Cooking is the leading cause of fires in homes.
To help reduce the chance of fire and injuries associated with holiday cooking fires, CAL FIRE would like to offer the following tips:
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stove and ever leave cooking food unattended.
- If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
- Food preparation and cooking should always be supervised by an adult.
- When using a turkey fryer, be sure to follow instructions closely, don't exceed the recommended oil level and only use the device outdoors.
- Make sure a fire extinguisher is handy at all times, never use water to put out a grease fire and ensure that smoke alarms are installed and working.
- CAL FIRE