Motorists are advised to anticipate the closure of the outside eastbound lane on Truxtun Avenue, between the new Westside Parkway bridge crossing Truxtun Avenue and Empire Drive, beginning Wednesday night.
The contractor for the Westside Parkway plans to set concrete barrier rail to enable road widening construction to begin in this area. Work is scheduled to take place between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. and may continue at night through Friday.
One eastbound lane will remain open while work is under way and both eastbound lanes will be open for the morning commute. No changes are anticipated for the westbound lanes.
The public can help shape how more than $5.3 billion in anticipated transportation and energy-efficiency projects will be developed over the next 28 years.
In November and December, Kern Council of Governments is hosting a series of 10 presentations and workshops to highlight a free, Web-based, interactive game to garner public input on these vital community issues.
More than 70 major highway, road maintenance, public transit, rail, pedestrian and bicycle improvements are projected to be funded throughout Kern County over the next three decades. Kern COG's Directions to 2050 Regional Transportation Plan (RTP) details how the region will spend federal, state and utility transportation dollars over the long term.
Directions to 2050 will contain an ambitious program of roadway corridor, public transit, rail, bicycle and pedestrian improvements designed to keep the regional economy moving. Ideas and input garnered during presentations, workshops and through an online game at directionsto2050.com will inform which policies, programs and projects will be prioritized and when they will be implemented over the next three decades.
Kern COG will demonstrate the "Help Improve Your Community" game during the following Directions to 2050 presentations:
* 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Tehachapi Chamber of Commerce, 209 E. Tehachapi Blvd., Tehachapi
* Noon Wednesday, Shafter Kiwanis Club, Shafter Veterans Hall, 309 California Ave., Shafter
* 6 p.m. Nov. 29, 1012 Jefferson St., Delano
* 10 a.m. Dec. 5, Kern River Valley Revitalization Committee, 11447 Kernville Road, Kernville
* 10 a.m. Dec. 6, Greenfield Walking Group, Greenfield Resource Center, 5400 Monitor St., Greenfield
* Noon Dec. 12, McFarland Chamber of Commerce, 102 Sherwood Ave., McFarland
* Noon Dec. 13, Ridgecrest Chamber of Commerce, Victoria's at the Heritage Inn, 1050 N. Norma St., Ridgecrest
* Noon Dec. 17, Wasco Rotary Club, Wasco Veterans Hall, 1202 Poplar, Wasco
* 11:30 a.m. Dec. 17, Kern Transportation Foundation, Kern COG Board Room, 1401 19th St., Suite 300, Bakersfield
* 7 p.m. Dec. 20, Rosamond Municipal Advisory Council, Hummel Hall, 2500 20th Street West, Rosamond
-- Kern Council of Governments